March 16, 2004

Back from lunch - 'tis Puay Heng Bak Chor mee @ Far East Sq. Not bad! Kudos Joyce for bringing the few sua kus to explore that part of FE Sq. Today's Shirley's last day with us, as our colleague. I'm sure I am not far from right to say that we've learnt more about our work and the workings of the corporate world from her than any of our bosses. Thanks a great bunch, Shirley da4 mei3 ren2! We'd miss your gancheong-ness here but let's all try to keep in contact oki! And bring with you my best in your new endeavour!

From the papers...10
1. "Singtel Opt-out Scheme"
I was almost becoming one of the many many victims of Singtel if I had not bothered to sms-reply to opt out of this overseas Missed Called Alert service that Singtel so kindly opted me in (and sent a mere sms to inform me to opt out if I don't intend to pay for the service after the trial period). Unethical. Mobile companies nowadays have sooo many kind and convenient services and they actually give you a trial period to be impressed (or not) by the services.

Then, until you get your bills like 2 months later do you realise you are being billed for all these wonderful services that you didn't choose to opt out of. Sure made good use of that 'silence means consent' phrase. You don't make noise, they think you are eternally indebted to them for the provision of their bountiful of add-on services.

2. "NS for women"
This is a pretty interesting piece of news. By 'interesting', I mean that there are many ways of taking this suggestion (by our own female MPs) and many ways of arguing for or against this. It's probably gonna involve things like gender role, gender mystification, feminism, chauvinism, family, economy and work. A good point of view on all these individual topics, you can just do a quick net search.

My POV here is, yes, indeed women ought to be equipped with survival skills in emergency or war time. But, NS for women may not be where we should all be heading towards to learn these. How many men got out of NS thinking that they are now ready to fight in the war? More I know got out thinking NS was a complete waste of time, waste of their youth (tho I often wonder what shit they be getting themselves into if the constituition law didn't throw them all together in the 'brotherhood'). I'm in no position to say if that's true, but hey, if 8 out of 10 of my male friends say that, surely, there's something not quite right in those camps? And do we want to have more people, boys and girls, going NS and ORD-ing, as resentful men and women? I think not.

Yes, equip us with survival skills, indeed. Like how to swim? hullo, there're natural disasters in our homeland ok! There're *gulp* floods!!! I can't swim.

Ok. not funny.

Nursing. One of the MPs mentioned. Ahh, yes... nursing. We should all at least know a bit of emergency first aid. Like... Carnal Pulmonary Resuscitation. No? Oh, CARDIO! See!

Ok. not very funny but, hey, better than the last rite?

I do agree with the rationale behind this NS for women suggestion ok! But, I'm just not sure if NS is the answer or just the placebo. And, hey! Suddenly, we women are the focus of the parliament. low birthrates, high spinster rate, NS for women... wonder what's next? Ban wonderbras! yay! No more push-ups for the Singapore Girl(s)! yay! =P

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 14:00